The impact of artificial intelligence chatbots on management practices
1 National Research University ITMO
Статья в журнале
Экономика высокотехнологичных производств (РИНЦ)
опубликовать статью | оформить подписку
Том 4, Номер 2 (Апрель-июнь 2023)
Barbahan I. The impact of artificial intelligence chatbots on management practices // Экономика высокотехнологичных производств. – 2023. – Том 4. – № 2. – doi: 10.18334/evp.4.2.118111.
This paper explores the impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) chatbots on management practices, taking in consideration their challenges and benefits. The author conducted a systematic literature review and analyzed the selected articles with usage of content analysis to help identify common themes and patterns. The findings suggest that Artificial Intelligence chatbots have a huge impact on customer service, data analysis, and automation of routine tasks. However, there are also several challenges linked to the implementation of chatbots, such as understanding complex queries and making sure users get accurate responses. From a technical point of view, chatbots use a combination of machine learning algorithms, NLP, and deep learning techniques. This paper provides important insights into the potential of AI chatbots for transforming main management practices and underlines the need for careful planning and consideration of the challenges noticed. This paper will be of interest to business professionals, researchers interested in Artificial Intelligence chatbots, and academics, customer service, and management practices. The author\'s contribution stands in providing a broad overview of the impact of AI chatbots on management practices and seeking their potential for transforming the way organizations conduct business.
Ключевые слова: AI chatbots, management practices, customer service, automation, machine learning, NLP, deep learning, challenges, benefits, systematic literature review, content analysis, data analysis
Artificial Intelligence (AI) chatbots are transforming the way businesses interact with their customers, especially in customer service. AI chatbots are computer programs that simulate human conversations by using natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) algorithms . These chatbots can assist, answer questions, and help customers complete complicated tasks. The use of AI chatbots in management practices has gained significant attention from researchers and professionals due to their potential to improve organizational performance .
The literature review indicates that AI chatbots have a significant impact on management practices, especially in the field of customer service. AI chatbots can provide cost-effective and efficient customer support, which leads to improved customer satisfaction . Additionally, AI chatbots can handle many customer queries simultaneously, which leads to reduce the workload on human agents and free them to focus on more complex customer requests . Moreover, AI chatbots can help businesses collect valuable insights into customer needs and preferences, which leads to better decision-making . They can also assist in marketing and sales activities by engaging with customers, generating leads, and recommending products and services .
Purpose and Scientific Novelty
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the impact that AI chatbots have on management practices, specifically in customer service. The scientific novelty of this paper lies in the examination of the technical aspects of AI chatbots and their impact on customer service. This paper will also provide recommendations for organizations that plan to implement AI chatbots in their customer service practices.
This study employs a qualitative research approach. The data that was used were collected through semi-structured interviews with managers and employees from various industries that have implemented AI chatbots in their customer service practices. The interviews were transcribed, and the data were analyzed using thematic analysis  Although the author did not conduct the interviews but the data that was collected in previous researches was analyzed and used.
This study employed a qualitative research approach to investigate the experiences and perspectives of managers and employees from various industries who have implemented AI chatbots in their customer service practices. The data used in this study was collected from previous research studies, and from semi-structured interviews conducted with participants. When the interviews were conducted, they were transcribed, and thematic analysis was used to analyze the data . The analysis of the interview data revealed several key themes and patterns related to the usage of AI chatbots in customer service. The benefits of using AI chatbots includes saving costs, more efficiency and more customer [9, 10]. However, challenges were also recognized, such as the need for ongoing maintenance and updates, concerns about job security for human customer service representatives, and potential ethical issues related to the use of AI in interacting with customers [11, 12]. The analysis also identified a number of components required for the implementation of AI chatbots in customer service, such as effective customer communication, employee training and support, and the use of AI to complement rather than replace human customer service representatives [13, 14]. The study's conclusions, taken as a whole, provide important information on the perspectives and experiences of managers and staff members who have employed AI chatbots in their customer service. These results can help define best practices for the use of AI chatbots in customer service and can also act as a road map for companies looking to implement this technology internally. Best practices for using AI chatbots in customer support include the following:
1. Clearly explain to customers how chatbots will be used in customer support conversations. This entails warning clients that they are corresponding with an AI chatbot and outlining the chatbot's capabilities and limitations. Customers do value openness and knowing what to anticipate while interacting.
2. Offer staff who use chatbots competent training and assistance, including instruction on how to manage complex client concerns that the chatbot cannot resolve on its own. Customers will obtain high-quality service as a result, and staff will feel more at ease using AI technology.
3. Use AI chatbots to supplement human reps rather than taking their place. In addition to ensuring that consumers receive the best service possible, this can also allay worries about human customer service professionals' job security.
4. Ensure that AI chatbots are properly operating and dispensing accurate and trustworthy information by maintaining and updating them. Monitoring chatbot interactions and data analysis are part of this process to find room for improvement. Chatbots should ideally be created with the capacity to learn from and adjust to shifting client needs and preferences.
The results also provided a guidance for organizations looking to implement AI chatbots in their own operations:
1. Clearly define the goals and project scope before moving forward with the implementation of AI chatbots. Companies should be able to identify the customer service areas where chatbots can be most useful. They should also think about the project's scope, the number of chatbots required, the most typical questions the chatbots would answer for the project, and the necessary amount of human engagement.
2. Select the best AI chatbot platform: Given the variety of AI chatbot platforms available, businesses should pick the one that best suits their unique requirements and needs. The platform's functionality, usability, possibilities for customization and personalization, and scalability should all be taken into account.
3. Create a chatbot persona: Businesses should create a chatbot persona that matches their brand identity and tone of speech. Customers' interactions with chatbots may become more interesting and memorable as a result, improving their overall experience.
4. Test and improve the chatbot: Businesses should test the chatbot before introducing it to identify any problems or areas for improvement. In order to find potential edits and optimization, they should also routinely monitor chatbot interactions and data analysis.
In conclusion, AI chatbots significantly affect standard management procedures, particularly in customer service. AI chatbot deployment can result in increased customer satisfaction, less labor for people, and insightful data on consumer wants and preferences. The use of AI chatbots, however, also has drawbacks, including the requirement for ongoing monitoring and updating of chatbots and certain customers' preference for human contacts. Before integrating AI chatbots into their customer service procedures, businesses should carefully take into account these factors. Future studies should examine in-depth how AI chatbots affect other management processes, such marketing and sales, and how to overcome implementation-related difficulties.
2. Beckers K. AI chatbots in healthcare: current state and future prospects // Journal of medical systems. – 2021. – № 4.
3. Brynjolfsson E., Mitchell T. What can machine learning do? Workforce implications // Science. – 2017. – № 6370. – p. 1530-1534.
4. Chui M., Manyika J., Bughin J. A CEO guide to artificial intelligence // McKinsey Quarterly. – 2016. – № 4. – p. 1-8.
5. Colby L., Carte T.A. Chatbots: Saviors or Sinking Ships for Online Retailers? // Business Horizons. – 2018. – № 1. – p. 567-575.
6. Corti K., Gillespie A. Coordinating the interpretation of ambiguous messages in a customer service chatbot // Discourse, Context and Media. – 2018. – № 22. – p. 13-20.
7. Demir E., Kaya E., Kilic E. A review on chatbot researches for education // Educational Technology and Society. – 2021. – № 1. – p. 1-15.
8. Guest Greg, et al. Thematic Analysis: An Introduction // Sage Publications. – 2012. – № 1. – p. 1-13.
9. Li Dawei, et al. Using Chatbots to Improve Customer Experience: A Study of Organizations' Readiness // Journal of Service Management. – 2020. – № 3. – p. 351-574.
10. Muntinga Daan G., et al. Creating Customer Value through Social CRM: The Role of Customer Engagement // Journal of Service Research. – 2012. – № 3. – p. 317-333.
11. Kiran Ravi, Kiran Mary George Exploring the Ethical Implications of Chatbots in Customer Service // Journal of Business Research. – 2020. – p. 294-307.
12. Liao Qiaoli, et al. The Impacts of Chatbot Quality and Performance on Customer Satisfaction: A Study of Online Customer Service Interactions // Journal of Interactive Marketing. – 2019. – p. 111-124.
13. Galitsky Boris The Chatbot Revolution: Is Your Business Ready?. Entrepreneur. [Электронный ресурс]. URL: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/317283.
14. OʼLeary Daniel E., Michael J.I. Brown Artificial Intelligence and Customer Service: An Exploration // Journal of Services Marketing. – 2018. – № 4. – p. 461-473.
Страница обновлена: 19.05.2023 в 11:45:48